Skip to main content

Department Guide

General Administrative

Academic Personnel

Academic Policy and Procedures


Academic Personnel manages the development, revision, analysis, and implementation of UC San Diego's academic personnel policies and procedures to carry out the vision of the University's academic leadership, to increase efficiency and compliance, and to limit institutional liability.


Career Resources


Resources for New Faculty

Leave of Absence Information

As per UCSD Policy, faculty are expected to be on campus from the beginning of the Fall Quarter through the end of the Spring Quarter, and may not be absent for any period of time during the academic year without prior permission. Faculty absent from duties without formal approval may be considered as having abandoned their posts.

Please ask your Academic Personnel Coordinator for specific information regarding childbearing, military service, FMLA, government service, etc.

General Information

  • Approval can take up to several months
  • Formal requests should be submitted at least one full quarter in advance of the leave
  • Exceptions to policy may take up to six months for a decision to be made by the UC Office of the President
  • Compensation from all sources may not exceed 100% of UCSD salary and must be approved in advance
  • If you will be traveling, please check our Travel procedures

Absence Up to 10 Service Days

  • Requires advance approval of the Department Chair via e-mail
  • Used to travel to conferences or to make presentations off-campus
  • Requires finding a replacement instructor for course coverage

Change of Work Location (10 to 60 Service Day Absence During Non-Teaching Quarter)

  • Normal duties are performed from a remote location to facilitate conference attendance or research/teaching requirements
  • Official duties will not be reassigned
  • Typically may only occur during a non-teaching quarter
  • A request must be made to the Department Chair in writing and requires divisional approval

Leave Greater than 10 Service Days

  • Requires completion of an Academic Leave of Absence/Sabbatical Form (ALAS) form (prepared by your Academic Personnel Coordinator)
  • Requires approval of the Department Chair, Dean of Social Sciences, and Senior Vice Chancellor
  • Requires the following information e-mailed to your Academic Personnel Coordinator:
    • Start and end dates of leave
    • Purpose of the leave (one-page maximum)
    • Location during the leave
    • Paid or Unpaid
    • If a sabbatical, full or partial?
    • Copy of any invitation received from an outside institution
    • Documentation of any proposed outside compensation
    • Between 11 and 30 Service Days
      • Involves forfeiture of sabbatical credit at a pre-set rate
      • Requires finding a replacement instructor for course coverage
    • Greater Than 30 Service Days (SABBATICAL)
      • Requires a written report of activities within 90 days of return to campus
      • Used for scholarly activities
      • Sabbatical credits accrued at the rate of one credit per service quarter in residence
      • Sabbatical credits expended at the rate of nine credits per 100% quarter on leave (partial sabbatical acceptable)
      • Normal pay and benefits are received (except in some partial sabbatical cases)
      • University service not required for the duration of the leave
      • Sabbatical-in-residence requires fewer sabbatical credits expended
        • Faculty will teach one course that meets at least 3 hours per week
        • A faculty member on sabbatical leave in residence who meets this teaching requirement shall be freed from all other teaching obligations and from all committee and administrative work
    • Greater Than 30 Service Days (LEAVE WITHOUT PAY)
      • Used when receiving outside funding or opting for no UCSD pay for leave duration
      • Requires permission to engage in Category I Activity
      • Benefits implications: faculty who will be accepting payment from an outside source during the leave may elect to continue UCSD benefits by paying for premiums or may opt to discontinue benefits

Department Self-Governance and University Service

Faculty are expected to willingly volunteer or accept assignments for various committees, commencement representation, and to serve as faculty mentors to incoming faculty as well as graduate students. 

Departmental Administration

When a vacancy exists, the Chancellor (or his/her designee) shall appoint a Department Chair after consultation with the tenured members of the department and with the Vice Chancellor, Academic Affairs. The length of service for a Department Chair is flexible, with the normal term being three to five years; however, the maximum length of each term is five years. 

Departmental Committees

Various ad hoc and other committees may be assembled by the Chair, as needed, and are typically assigned prior to Fall quarter. Members serve for the academic year. Some examples of typical committees include:

  • Excellence Committee: assembled in conjunction with periodic academic file reviews to examine and document the effectiveness of a faculty member’s teaching and instructional effectiveness. The committee typically consists of the Vice Chair of Instruction and at least two other tenure-track faculty members. In the case of the review of an Initial Continuing Lecturer appointment file, there will be at least one non-Senate (Unit 18) faculty member on the committee. Committees for review of an LPSOE will also contain an LSOE.
  • Faculty Recruitment Committee: assembled to recruit new faculty members.
  • Graduate Admissions Committee: assembled to process applications and make recommendations for admission to the Graduate Admissions Director.
  • Work Load/Teaching Load Committee (Design Team): assembled to examine the department's faculty teaching loads and to make recommendations and equity advisories to the Chair and administration as to developments in these areas across the profession.

Academic Senate Committees

  • Committee for Academic Policy: assembled to discuss University-wide issues and advise the administration, Chancellor, and Senior Vice Chancellor, Academic Affairs on academic personnel actions.
  • Representative Assembly: assembled to discuss and act on various legislative matters. Representatives are elected by the department for up to a two-year period. There must be a one-year break between the terms a faculty member serves as a representative, although a representative may serve as an alternate immediately after the completion of their term.

Human Resources




Hiring Students

Graduate Student Researchers (GSR's)

Student Workers

All undergraduate positions must go through UC San Diego Career Services before a hire can be made. To initiate a request, email Gericel Oshmago with the following:

  • A brief job description or bullet points of primary duties
  • Qualifications/requirements
  • Desired start and end dates
  • Approximate hours per week
  • Hourly rate you want to offer (most commonly between $12-$20/hr) and an index you'd like to use.

Students are not to begin work without approval. You will be notified by email with the approved start date as soon as possible.  *Special justification will be requested for students who are registered at a different UC location. Unfortunately, we cannot hire students outside of the UC system. 

Student and Classroom Information Toolbox

UCSD Class Schedule 

Academic Integrity

Teaching and Learning Commons

Enrollment and Registration Calendars

Enrollment and Waitlists

Grading System

General Catalog

Course Information (Cinfo): Access ACMS services and classroom technology like TritonEd, Turn It In, Podcasting

Add course website to Complete this form for classes that are not using TritonEd

Submit your course materials to the UC San Diego Bookstore ideally by the end of Week 3 of the previous quarter. The Textbook Department will accept all late submissions, but please note that they may be subject to publisher out-of-stock conditions and other factors that may cause delays.

If you are interested in desk or review copy, please contact the publisher directly. 

Library Course Reserves

Course-related materials can be made available for students through the UCSD Libraries. Place items "on reserve" for a class such as: textbooks, journal articles, videos, book chapters, practice exams, etc.

My Reader Inquiry & Order: Request course materials from UCSD Bookstore (custom materials)

Request course materials from UCSD Bookstore (custom materials): Track information related to proctoring exams for students with disabilities

Report academic misconduct (Word file)

Report non-academic student misconduct

Course Technology Resources

Educational Technology Services

Educational Technology Services (ETS), formerly ACMS, provides tools, services, and facilities to help manage and/or enhance your courses using technology. 

  • Canvas— the campus-wide Learning Management System
  • Turnitin — originality checking software
  • Classroom Details — find information regarding every classroom and lecture hall (technology, media, seating capacity, lighting, and more)
  • Podcasting — audio and video podcast services to record your lectures
  • Computer labs and software — access to campus labs with licenses for lots of popular software
  • Video production assistance — contact the Media Teaching Lab to coordinate video production resources for your course
  • Virtual Computing Labs — access to specialty software from a personal computer, tablet, or smartphone


Audio Visual Directions for EDS Conference Rooms


Social Science Computing Facility (SSCF)

The Social Science Computing Facility (SSCF) is a consolidated group that offers a shared computing infrastructure and standard policies to all departments and programs within the Division of Social Sciences. They provide on-site hardware and software assistance to all the end users in the division. Their duties are focused on maintaining laptops and desktop workstations for staff and faculty. Request for support can be sent to:


Consider assigning an Incomplete grade when:

  • Student has requested an Incomplete; assigning an Incomplete grade without the student’s consent should be avoided 
  • Student needs additional time to complete a course due to documented extenuating circumstances beyond the student’s control (e.g. illness)
  • A student must complete a majority of the coursework to request an Incomplete.
  • Student’s work is of non‑failing quality  

Important considerations:

  • An Incomplete may not be the most appropriate option depending on the student’s individual circumstances. It is recommended that faculty consult with Department/Program Advisors and/or the student’s College Academic Advising Office, and refer students to department/program/college advisors to discuss their options.
  • Decisions on whether to approve a request are at the discretion of the instructor.
  • “I” grades lapse to “F” grades if the remaining work is not completed by the end of the following quarter.
  • Faculty must make individual arrangements for the timely completion of the work, clearly articulate expectations to the student, and remain in communication with the student until the work is complete; requiring that the student wait until the next time the course is offered is not allowable.
  • Instructors are required to inform students when assigning an I grade.

Please refer students to How to Request/Remove an Incomplete on Tritonlink.

Scheduling Interpreters- Captionists

Financial Affairs

This page is to provide EDS faculty/principal investigators (PIs) and graduate students with information on financial tools, purchasing and reimbursement resources, and departmental policies for reimbursements. 

MyFunds Access

MyFunds is an online tool which allows you to view an up-to-date budget report of the balances and expenses for your funds. It also provides a few options to tailor how much information you want in your reports. The instructions below provide further guidance on how to access and read the basic budget report.

MyFunds is available online from under the Business Tools tab, or you can access it directly at . You will be prompted to log in using your Single Sign-On account, which is typically your UCSD email address. If you do not have a login, follow the Self-Registration steps by clicking on "New User?".

Click on the – View Reports Set Up for Me. You will see your Faculty Allowance and other funds that are set up for you to view.

Helpful Links

Hiring Students

Graduate Student Researchers (GSR's)


2023/24 GSR Costs

Department of Education Studies: GSR Hiring Process for Faculty

Instructional Assistant Handbook


Student Workers


All undergraduate positions must go through UC San Diego Career Services before a hire can be made. To initiate a request, email Gericel Oshmago with the following:

  • A brief job description or bullet points of primary duties
  • Qualifications/requirements
  • Desired start and end dates
  • Approximate hours per week
  • Hourly rate you want to offer (most commonly between $12-$20/hr) and an index you'd like to use.

Students are not to begin work without approval. You will be notified by email with the approved start date as soon as possible.  *Special justification will be requested for students who are registered at a different UC location. Unfortunately, we cannot hire students outside of the UC system. 


Room Reservations

Maintenance and Housekeeping 

There are several methods of dealing with maintenance and housekeeping issues. During business hours, Manny is your contact for all maintenance and housekeeping issues. 
  • Elevator problems
  • Light replacement
  • Plumbing issues
  • Cleaning
  • Door problems

For urgent requests after business hours, call (858) 534-2930, and your call will be forwarded to a voice-messaging system.

  • For non-emergency after-hours requests, leave a message on voice mail for processing the following business day.
  • For emergencies, you will be instructed to dial “03” to forward your call to the Central Utilities Plant for immediate response. Be prepared to provide detailed information so that the Central Plant operator can assess the situation.

To check the status of a telephone maintenance service request, contact the Customer Relations help desk, (858) 534-2930.

For special work orders such as painting, carpentry, or other non-routine requests, please contact Manny who can assist you.

OSD Exam Room